Labatt Blue UP Pond Hockey Championship
Phone: 1-800-338-6660 Contact: St. Ignace Events Committee
Register Now! The registration form is new this year. All players must have their USA Hockey ID listed on the registration form. Fill out what info you have and you can edit as needed. Roster must be finalized by Wednesday, February 7, 2018.
- Sanction #: MIT1829906366
Registration fee is $425 per 7-person team, and includes a 3-game guarantee, Labatt sportswear, Kewadin Casino coupon, and free pub shuttle service Thursday, Friday & Saturday.
- Women's Division teams - the first eight teams to register in the Women's Division will close that division. Any other women's teams that register will be placed in either the Novice or 21 & Over Division based on skill levels listed on the registration form.
- Meet-n-Greet on Thursday, February 15, 2018, from 6-9 p.m. at the Mackinac Grille. Call 906-643-6950 to reserve a spot for your team!
- Regular games begin Friday, February 16 at 12:00 Noon; Saturday, February 17 at 9am, and the Championship Games will be played on Sunday, February 18, 2018.
- For game structure info, i.e., determining skill level, divisions, etc., click here!
- For a copy of the pond hockey rules, click here!
- Coming back for 2018! The second annual Yooper Ice Tennis Doubles Tournament, to be played Friday & Saturday. See below for more info!
- Also returning in 2018. The Team Best Beard Contest. So start your beards! Judging will take place between periods at the Detroit Red Wings Alumni Game on Friday night.
- For house/cabin rental info call the St. Ignace Chamber of Commerce at 906-643-8717, or Mackinac Properties at 906-643-9242.
- Melody Beach Cottage is available. Located 2 miles north of downtown St. Ignace on Lake Huron. Fully furnished with one full bed and sofa sleeper. Sleeps 4 comfortably but can sleep 6. Large entry room for outdoor clothing and hockey equipment. Comfortable, with gas fireplace. Call Jamie at 906-298-1978 for more info.
The Labatt Blue UP Pond Hockey Championship is an outdoor event. By entering, you have acknowledged that you will be playing on a natural, outdoor ice surface, and ice conditions are at the mercy of Mother Nature.
Weather Cancellation Policy - (effective December 20, 2014)
Should the event be cancelled due to inclement weather or unsafe ice conditions as determined by the tournament director(s), teams have two options:
- Entry into next year's Labatt Blue UP Pond Hockey Championship, in the same age and division for which they are currently registered - no exceptions. Full payment will remain with the St. Ignace Events Committee and should there be a change in the tournament entry fee, teams will be responsible for the difference for next year's tournament.
- Teams may elect to have 50% of their registration fee refunded to them. Teams who choose this option will NOT be guaranteed a spot in next year's Labatt Blue UP Pond Hockey Championship. Should there be a change in the tournament entry fee, teams will be responsible for the difference for next year's tournament.
BACK for 2018!
Yooper Ice Tennis Doubles Tournament!
Wimbledon has nothing on the U.P. Pond Hockey Championship – Announcing the first Yooper Ice Tennis Doubles Championship played on skates on Friday, February 17, and Saturday, February 18th, 2017, on the pond hockey infield. The first eight 2-person teams to register will compete in a single elimination tournament on the ice wearing ice skates. There is no cost to register because we feel these 8 teams will be worth the price of admission to watch! Teams must provide their own racquets and we will provide the grand prize for the Yooper Ice Tennis Award! Click here for the rules of the game!
As we get closer to the tournament we will be accepting bids on the Chalet Rental. The winning bid will allow a team to occupy the chalet, which will be located on the ice near the rinks, Friday & Saturday from 9am-6pm, and on Sunday from 9am-2pm. Enjoy a private heated chalet on the ice overlooking the entire pond hockey tournament! Your very own ice cabana to rest between games, or play cards and enjoy your off ice time but not off the ice! Bids will only be accepted via email to: email@example.com. Minimum bid: $200. Bidding begins Wednesday, January 17 and ends at 5pm on Wednesday, February 14. We will update the bid information daily at 11am, 2pm, and 4:45pm with highest bid received. Remember, what happens in the Chalet stays in the Chalet! For bidding details, click here!
DETROIT RED WINGS ALUMNI GAME
This year we once again welcome the Detroit Red Wings Alumni team to an exhibition game on Friday, February 16, at 7pm. Admission is FREE but seating is limited. If you'd like to attend this game arrive early to guarantee a seat. We will also have standing room available. Would you like to be part of the UP Pond Hockey team that will play against the alumni team? We have two option for doing just that! Click here for details!
Our VIP Lounge still has tickets available as well. For $20.00 you will have seating in a designated area, and food and drink throughout the game.
From Thursday night at 5:00 p.m., through Sunday morning, a free shuttle will be available for teams to be picked up/returned to St. Ignace Visitor Bureau and St. Ignace Chamber of Commerce member hotel/motel/restaurants.
Our tournament is sanctioned by USA Hockey, and sponsored by Labatt Blue. We would like to thank both organizations for their support over these last several years.Here we have a bagpipe player hitching a ride on the Zamboni as it heads out to prepare the ice!
We had only 27 teams at the first Labatt Blue UP Pond Hockey Championship in St. Ignace in 2007. In 2017 we had 195 teams!
Our pond hockey tournament is played on the frozen ice of Moran Bay, Lake Huron. We are one of the few tournaments where our 'pond' is actually one of the Great Lakes! We create thirty 75' x 150' rinks and play over 300 games during our fun-filled weekend! We have a heated Labatt Blue Zone, and 'locker rooms' on the ice for the players. Teams representing 10 states competed in 2017 - Florida, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin.