Labatt Blue UP Pond Hockey Championship
Phone: 1-800-338-6660 Contact: St. Ignace Events Committee
here's what we know so far . . . . .
- Sanction #: MIT1721384967
- Meet-n-Greet on Thursday, February 16, 2017, from 6-9 p.m. at the Mackinac Grille and Village Inn.
- Regular games begin Friday & Saturday, February 17 & 18, 2017, and the Championship Games will be played on Sunday, February 19, 2017.
- New for 2017! The first Yooper Ice Tennis Doubles Tournament, to be played Saturday, February 18, 2017. See below for more info!
- The Best Team Beard Contest was a huge success in 2016 and we can't wait to see how many teams participate in 2017. The winning team gets a free team registration for the next year's tournament!
- For a list of open winter motels in St. Ignace, click here!
- Men’s 21 & Over – Team is comprised of players that are 21 & Over
- Men’s 30 & Over – Team is comprised of players that are 30 & Over
- Men’s 40 & Over – Team is comprised of players that are 40 & Over
- Men’s 45 & Over – Team is comprised of players that are 45 & Over
- Men’s 50 & Over – Team is comprised of players that are 50 & Over
- Womens’ Division
- A Level – This player is highly skilled. Has played Junior A or College.
- B Level – Competitive Player. Former High School, Junior B or College Club player.
- C Level – Less experienced recreational player.
- Novice – Players that have not played organized hockey before the age of 21.
- 200+ teams on 30 rinks; (4 on 4) Round Robin; Rink Dimensions 150’ x 75’
- 3 Game Guarantee (games Friday, Saturday, and Finals Sunday)
- Two 20-minute halves and a 2 minute warm-up
- Points: Win = 1 point; Loss = 0 points
- No Tied games – sudden death play
DIVISIONS (as needed):
21 & Over:
30 & Over:
40 & Over:
45 & Over:
50 & Over:
The Labatt Blue UP Pond Hockey Championship is an outdoor event. By entering, you have acknowledged that you will be playing on a natural, outdoor ice surface, and ice conditions are at the mercy of Mother Nature.
Weather Cancellation Policy - (effective December 20, 2014)
Should the event be cancelled due to inclement weather or unsafe ice conditions as determined by the tournament director(s), teams have two options:
- Entry into next year's Labatt Blue UP Pond Hockey Championship, in the same age and division for which they are currently registered - no exceptions. Full payment will remain with the St. Ignace Events Committee and should there be a change in the tournament entry fee, teams will be responsible for the difference for next year's tournament.
- Teams may elect to have 50% of their registration fee refunded to them. Teams who choose this option will NOT be guaranteed a spot in next year's Labatt Blue UP Pond Hockey Championship. Should there be a change in the tournament entry fee, teams will be responsible for the difference for next year's tournament.
BACK for 2017!
The Best Team Beard Contest!
We are going to have a Best Team Beard Contest during our pond hockey championship weekend. At least 4 team members, wearing their hockey jerseys, must be present to be judged, but your whole team is more than welcome to participate! There is no entry fee, and the winning team will receive free entry into the 2018 Labatt Blue UP Pond Hockey Championship.
Yooper Ice Tennis Doubles Tournament!
Wimbledon has nothing on the U.P. Pond Hockey Championship – Announcing the first Yooper Ice Tennis Doubles Championship played on skates on Friday, February 17, and Saturday, February 18th, 2017, on the pond hockey infield. The first eight 2-person teams to register will compete in a single elimination tournament on the ice wearing ice skates. There is no cost to register because we feel these 8 teams will be worth the price of admission to watch! Teams must provide their own racquets and we will provide the grand prize for the Yooper Ice Tennis Award! Click here for the rules of the game!
As we get closer to the tournament we will be accepting bids on the Chalet Rental. The winning bid will allow a team to occupy the chalet, which will be located on the ice near the rinks, Friday & Saturday from 9am-6pm, and on Sunday from 9am-2pm. Enjoy a private heated chalet on the ice overlooking the entire pond hockey tournament! Your very own ice cabana to rest between games, or play cards and enjoy your off ice time but not off the ice! Call the St. Ignace Visitors Bureau at 906-643-6950 to place your bid and we'll keep current bids posted RIGHT HERE! What happens in the Chalet stays in the Chalet!
From Thursday night at 5:00 p.m., through Sunday morning, a free shuttle will be available for teams to be picked up/returned to their St. Ignace hotel/motel and transported to their favorite beverage establishments.
If you are interested in getting a copy of this 2015 aerial photo, please contact Dave Kunze at Kunze Photography, either by email at: email@example.com, or by phone at 231-420-0844. He has various sizes available for you to choose from!
Our tournament is sanctioned by USA Hockey, and sponsored by Labatt Blue. We would like to thank both organizations for their support over these last several years.Here we have a bagpipe player hitching a ride on the Zamboni as it heads out to prepare the ice!
We had only 27 teams at the first Labatt Blue UP Pond Hockey Championship in St. Ignace in 2007. In 2016 we had 174 teams!
Our pond hockey tournament is played on the frozen ice of Moran Bay, Lake Huron. We are one of the few tournaments where our 'pond' is actually one of the Great Lakes! We create thirty 75' x 150' rinks and play over 300 games during our fun-filled weekend! We have a heated Labatt Blue Zone, and 'locker rooms' on the ice for the players. Teams representing 10 states competed in 2016 - Florida, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin.
A few years ago we started a page for 'Champ', the Championship Cup that all winning divisions receive. Our thought was, similar to the Stanley Cup, that Champ would travel to different locations and photos would be taken, then emailed to us to be included in our pond hockey pages. In this photo, Champ was relaxing at the beach on a beautiful sunny day!
Here's another photo of Champ at a surprise engagement!
So if you've taken Champ with you on your travels, please send us photos at: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you haven't taken Champ anywhere, take him on a trip - he'd love it! And send us your photos, along with a caption!